clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf

Story - News

Oct 20, 2008 11:08 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Two men die in major crash

Oct 20, 2008 11:08 AM

Police have confirmed the identities of two men who died in a car crash in Bridgehampton Monday morning, a full day and a half after the men died.

On Tuesday night, a relative who’d flown in from Seattle, Washington, identified Jaime Gomez, 21, of Flanders as the passenger in the car. Police have identified the driver as David Cisnerso Gonzales, 27, of East Hampton, though police have yet to locate any surviving family members.

Southampton Town Police Detective Sergeant Randy Hintze attributed the delay in determining the identities of the two men in part to the fact that neither was carrying identification at the time of the accident.

Police stated on Monday that the accident occurred at approximately 7 a.m. at the corner of Mitchell Lane and Snake Hollow Road. They added that the two-door 1992 Honda sedan the two men were traveling in skidded out of control while headed south on Mitchell Lane. The car reportedly crossed into the northbound lane, striking a fire hydrant. It then flipped and hit a tree.

Police said that speed was a factor in the crash, though they did not say how fast the men were driving. A medical examiner from Hauppauge pronounced both men dead at the scene.

Det. Sgt. Hintze added that the owner of the car was not involved in the accident and the two detectives working on the case had difficulty locating the car’s owner to determine who may have been driving the car. Despite numerous interviews with acquaintances of the two men, police said that they were unable to determine where they were coming from or where they were going to.

Chief John Healey of the Bridgehampton Fire Department noted that Town Police called an ambulance when they first arrived at the scene, but due to the severity of the accident, it was called off shortly afterward. Both men were wearing their seat belts, he said.

Police closed Mitchell Lane for more than four hours after the accident so they could conduct their investigation.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

By PrivateerMatt (390), Southampton on Oct 22, 08 4:18 PM