hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Nov 18, 2009 1:53 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

Sagaponack home damaged in March fire razed on Friday

Nov 18, 2009 1:53 PM

A house in Sagaponack that was severely damaged in a fire in March was razed on Friday morning, November 13.

The roof of the two-story home at 501 Sagg Main Street had collapsed onto the second floor of the house during the March 23 blaze. The Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor fire departments had responded to the structure fire.

Bridgehampton Fire Department Chief John Healey said that firefighters were able to get the fire under control within 45 minutes of arriving at the scene, though it took four hours to fully extinguish the flames because of the house’s wood frame.

Southampton Town Fire Marshal John Rankin said it appears the fire started in the space between the basement and the first floor, where a nesting animal may have caused an electrical fire.

In the days following the fire, Sagaponack Village Building Inspector John Woudsma determined the building could not be restored and would have to be demolished.

The homeowner, Karina Butler, had put the 2,200-square-foot home, built in 1870, on the market for $8 million prior to the fire.

Sagaponack Village Clerk-Treasurer Rhodi Winchell said Ms. Butler is no longer listing the property for sale nor has she applied with the Village Planning Board to build a new house there.

To view video of the house being razed visit 27east.com

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in