WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
clubhouse, east hampton, indoor, tennis, cornhole, bar, happy hour, bowling, mini golf
27east.com

Story - News

Aug 21, 2015 4:36 PMPublication: The Southampton Press

UPDATE: Funeral Services Set For Tuesday For Respected Shinnecock Elder, Elizabeth Thunder Bird Haile

Elizabeth Thunder Bird Haile
Aug 26, 2015 1:04 PM

Update: Saturday, August 22, 12:30 p.m.

The viewing for Elizabeth Thunder Bird Haile, who died on Friday, will be held on Tuesday, August 25, from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Hamptons United Methodist Church in Southampton. The funeral service will follow at the Church at 2 p.m. on Tuesday.

The Padoquohan Medicine Lodge, Inc. is accepting memorial donations mailed to P.O. Box 5078, Southampton, NY 11969.

Original Story

Elizabeth Thunder Bird Haile, a respected elder of the Shinnecock Indian Nation, died Friday afternoon.

Brockett Funeral Home will be handling the services, although none have been scheduled yet, a representative from the funeral home said. More information was not immediately available.

Ms. Haile, 85, was married to Richard Haile for nearly 60 years and together they had four children, 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. She had a love for cultural dances and met Mr. Haile at an international folk dancing class in Schenectady in 1952.

Born in Southampton to Shinnecock parents, Ms. Haile received her bachelor’s degree in education from the State University of New York at Oneonta Teachers College. She also received a master’s degree in recreation education from New York University. For the past five decades, she held several different hats as a dance teacher, a consultant in Native American studies, and an active member of both the Shinnecock Presbyterian Church and the United Methodist Church of Southampton.

She was also a founding member of the Hayground School in Bridgehampton and, in the past, had opened the annual Shinnecock Pow Wow with a ceremonial dance. Additionally, she served on the Shinnecock Tribal Council, Land Defense Committee, Cultural Center and Museum Board.

In 2002, Ms. Haile received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from the former Southampton College.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

An EXTRAORDINARY PERSON....SHE WILL BE MISSED.
By GOTGOD (14), Southampton on Aug 21, 15 5:17 PM
I love you Aunt Chee Chee, I know you will continue to look over our Nation and protect us as we are all now your children, ALL MY RELATIONS!
By Pequawus (3), goodyear on Aug 21, 15 5:22 PM
1 member liked this comment
What a sad news !!!! Chee Chee was an amazing person , she touched several generations. She will be dearly missed.
By Stevens (9), Sagaponack on Aug 21, 15 5:33 PM
1 member liked this comment
An extraordinary woman and friend of Southampton College through all if it's ups and downs. I will miss my friend, Elizabeth. May you rest in peace.
By Hamptonsseashell (359), on Aug 21, 15 5:33 PM
RIP
By xtiego (698), bridgehampton on Aug 21, 15 5:41 PM
What a strong spirit -- she will be terribly missed by the whole community.
By Joanna (1), Southampton on Aug 21, 15 5:59 PM
2 members liked this comment
Sad to see this. RIP dear lady.
By InnerBay (72), Southampton on Aug 21, 15 7:29 PM
2 members liked this comment
What a wonderful woman and a real lost to all of us. Her Our Father ritual was such a moving experience. Her absence will be a real void for all of us who know her but especially her famly and her tribe. God will give her the reward she so much deserves. My condolences to all who love her. Sister Mary Harvey
By mharvey (1), Water Mill on Aug 21, 15 9:30 PM
2 members liked this comment
My prayers are with her family.

By susgeek (41), Speonk on Aug 21, 15 10:20 PM
Tremendous loss. My heartfelt condolences to all of her loved ones. She was such an important member of our community and leader. She will be sorely missed.
By sirpoochala (78), Hampton Bays on Aug 21, 15 10:39 PM
I am so sad for the Shinnecock Nation and for all of the lives ad organizations that she so gently touched and helped.
Linda B. Shapiro

By lbspro (1), east hampton on Aug 22, 15 12:47 AM
I give you this one thought to keep -
I am with you still - I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the sweet uplifting rush,
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone -
I am with you still in each new dawn.

~Native American Prayer
By KevinLuss (356), SH on Aug 22, 15 6:37 AM
Will 27East keep us posted on date and time of services?
I and many others who loved that lady will want to attend.
By PQ1 (167), hampton bays on Aug 22, 15 11:32 AM
2 members liked this comment
Beautiful strength in this glowing woman. Bless her and her family. .
By heidi rain (4), sag harbor on Aug 22, 15 2:52 PM
1 member liked this comment
She was a lovely woman who did so much to educate the entire community about Native Americans. Condolences to her family.
By Crabby (63), Southampton on Aug 24, 15 8:40 AM