WELCOME GUEST  |  LOG IN
hamptons local events, express news group
27east.com

Story - News

Jan 4, 2012 11:18 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Southampton And Tuckahoe School Boards Might Hold Joint Meeting

Jan 4, 2012 11:36 AM

The Southampton and Tuckahoe school districts are looking to hold a joint meeting with both school boards in an effort to explore shared services and save money, Southampton Superintendent of Schools Dr. J. Richard Boyes announced at a board meeting for his district Tuesday night.

Among the topics to be discussed are joint transportation. Southampton, for example, owns its own bus fleet and runs its own bus garage, whereas Tuckahoe contracts with a private vendor for busing. Other areas to be explored for possible shared services include facilities, food services, business office operations and support services for students and staff, Dr. Boyes said.

“There’s been some interest expressed by the Tuckahoe administration and the Southampton administration in getting together to explore ways of saving dollars that eventually affect the tax rate and levy in both of those communities, and to look for efficiencies in the way we charge for services, the way we share services, between the two districts,” he said.

Dr. Boyes said the meeting would likely be held sometime in February.

Approximately 30 to 40 students from the Tuckahoe district, which offers classes up to the eighth grade, enter the Southampton district each year. They pay tuition to Southampton, an amount that changes each year and depends on whether the student receives a regular education or special education.

The Southampton School District also is continuing to analyze its security protocol in the wake of an incident last month in which a prekindergarten student wandered away from Southampton Elementary School through a door when a security guard posted at that door had left to use the restroom, officials said on Tuesday.

The district is looking to improve its “door-ajar” system that would signal an alarm if a door is propped open, Randy Dobler, the district’s director of facilities, operations and school safety said during a brief presentation on Tuesday. The district has also modified the security camera layout to make it easier to review and is reviewing drop-off and pickup procedures, among other items.

“This was a freak thing, an oddball thing,” Mr. Dobler said of the December 1 incident.

The student was not harmed and returned to school by Southampton Village Police.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

It's about time.
By interestedtaxpayer (21), southampton on Jan 4, 12 3:31 PM
I agree. It's about time! All the districts on the east end should be doing the same.
By powerwalker (52), Southampton on Jan 4, 12 4:56 PM
1 member liked this comment
Exhibit a and b above shedding light on people that don't know what they don't know. The boards meet, and work together. You two above are either old and grumpy, lacking the long term memory required to recall when folks paid for you to attend school, or your socially inept kids just don't fit in so you send them to whb and want the rest of us to suffer. get over yourselves. someone actually like a comment that stated, with no substance ''all districts should be meeting''. hahaha, they are ...more
By tmarie (30), Southampton on Jan 7, 12 6:56 AM