hamptons local events, express news group

Story - News

Dec 22, 2010 7:11 AMPublication: The Southampton Press

Firefighters Respond To South Main Street Fire

Dec 22, 2010 7:11 AM

The Southampton Fire Department responded to a call early this morning for what initially appeared to be a house fire on South Main Street in Southampton Village, but turned out to be nothing more than a rag that caught on fire in a garage apartment.

Southampton Fire Department Chief Roy “Buddy” Wines said that although the call came in as a structure fire, it turned out not to be. “It really wasn’t anything,” he said. “It was just a rag that was near an electric heater that ignited. No real damage, just caused smoke and gave the indication upon arrival that it was a structure fire.”

The fire, which occurred around 8:20 a.m., caused the closure of South Main Street for about a half-hour, Chief Wines said.

You've read 1 of 7 free articles this month.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

Out of curiosity. Does anyone know whether this qualifies as a fire or a false alarm and would it be subject to a fine?
By V.Tomanoku (790), southampton on Dec 21, 10 10:20 AM
A fire with no fine. This is because the incident was an actual fire and not a one of the years 500 alarm malfunctions that occur when a device activates for no reason at all sending equipment for no actual emergency.
By Common Scense (24), Southampton on Dec 21, 10 12:17 PM
Alarm malfunctions? Now tell us how many alarm systems have SAVED life and property. All alarm systems require maintance. It is not the alarms fault when people do not clean there smoke detectors...or decide to paint or sand floors without covering smoke detectors. How about the roof leaks and attic hvac units that put water onto a smoke detector? Learn to live with the good and the bad. How come very few of the "goods"...never get mentioned.
By c'mon now (46), southampton on Dec 21, 10 6:28 PM
This is one of the "goods" the alarm saved the building... no question... The firefighters responded and took care of the hazard... no fire just smoke damage, if the dectector was not there?.....
By bpcooke (12), Southampton on Dec 21, 10 8:37 PM
1 member liked this comment
By bpcooke (12), Southampton on Dec 21, 10 8:42 PM